Blog

A Bee in my….. Bodice?

Hello everyone!  I have been out of pocket for a couple of weeks due to circumstances beyond my control!  I am still adding things to my website, slowly, but surely.  One new upgrade – you are able to order fabric in 1/4 yard (.25/.5/.75) increments, which will be helpful.

I received a package the other day – fabric that I had ordered a while ago.  Most of the time when I am at a textile show and the vendors are showing their ‘new’ prints for order, it is 5 or 6 months before the fabric actually ships.  When I order new fabric, I don’t actually forget that I ordered it, but it is not something that I think about every day.  When it arrives, it’s like an unexpected present, and that is exactly what showed up on my doorstep last week.

This fabric is 100% cotton, so as soon as I opened the package, I cut off a piece for myself and threw it into the washer and dryer.  It really did not shrink much at all.  You can see that yellow is the primary color, a nice soft yellow that is easy to wear.  It has little buzzing bees all over. 

***Please not that the color in this picture is not as bright as it is in person.  The first picture above is more accurate, colorwise. ***

This fabric seams very ‘summery’ to me, so I am going to use my Classic Sleeveless Yoke pattern.  I really like the black gingham as an accent color with this fabric, so I am going to use this for the piping and a ruffle at the waist.  I think I will add a narrow ruffle at the armhole as well. Once I had the accent fabric, I focused on the details.  I am not going to smock this, but definitely want some embroidery.

 

I pulled out a white scrap of petit point pique’ to work on.  I doodled with the flight line first.  Please remember that this is a DOODLE CLOTH!  My practice piece.  I usually play around when I am designing, and in this case, I am glad I did!  Tawn Hunka introduced me to this fabric – 100% cotton,and very lightweight.  I really like it, but after playing around with it, I do not like it for this particular design.  I want my running stitches to be tiny and fluid, but the ‘squares’ in the fabric make it hard to get my stitches tiny,smooth, and even.  I am going to use a different background fabric, but keep the same general design.

 

 

Next, I played around with my bee… I used coton a broder #25 and an 8 Milliner needle, and made bullions to form the bee.  The head is a granito, and I made the antennae with the pistil stitch.  I am still going to play around a but more and try using white for the wings.

Now that I have the design idea, I am playing around with where I want it to be on the dress.  I will probably stitch it around a peter pan collar.  I have been thinking about adding a band to the bodice and have the bees ‘fly around’ the waist.  I am also thinking about putting a 3-4 inch band at the hem, have the bees fly around the hem, and then finish the bottom with a black gingham bias binding.  Hmmm… I will have to sleep on that a bit, which is usually how I work.  Once I ‘think’ I have my design set, I sleep on it and my brain usually tweaks a few things to make it better.

If you are interested in this fabric, you can order it HERE  I do not know if I will be able to order more when this is gone – currently it is out of stock at the distributors.

A few weeks back, I talked about this fabric, the Pink and Yellow Floral with Bees

If you are interested in this one, I was able to snag the last 2 bolts before it went out of stock – it should be in within the next couple of weeks.  If you are interested in this one, you can order HERE and I will get it cut as soon as it comes in.

My sewing room is s-l-o-w-l-y coming along – my wonderful hubby is painting one of our bedrooms, which is where I will be storing my fabric, notions, etc., so I will actually have room to sew in my sewing room!

I hope you all are having plenty of time to stitch!  I am working on some ‘pressing matters’ for next time!

Happy Stitching,

Vaune

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *